Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Part 4 of my Josie lovin'

4. Your mother-in-law died of cancer long before you had a chance to meet her. Your own mother has twice battled cancer and won. In a wonderful post entitled,"Why Do I Relay?" you spoke of your dedication to finding a cure for this horrible disease. Tell me what it felt like to be the daughter of a parent battling cancer. Do you now live in fear of it returning? How has this experience changed you?

Being the daughter of a parent battling cancer made me feel completely helpless and out of control. There was nothing I could do to make it better for her. I went with her to have surgery, hugged her everytime I saw her, told her how much I love her, massaged her when she felt ok to be massaged, helped take care of her cat, and helped with her bills while she was out of work. None of that compared to how miserable I felt that I just simply could not make the pain go away. There was nothing I could do to make it better and making it tolerable wasn't ok with me. My mother is the person who gives and gives and gives without ever asking for anything in return or expecting anything in return. How unfair was it that this was happening to her...and twice! I was angry that it was her it happened to. I would have gave anything to trade places with her, anything. And there was nothing I could do to save her when she needed somebody to save her. My sister and I shared with her and put her life in the hands of God and her doctor. They saved her and I couldn't. I wanted desperately to hug her and make it all go away and yet I couldn't. I was helpless and pissed off at being helpless. I kept all that from her, I had to be her strength for she had none during all of the treatments. So I stayed by her side and was her support until she once again had her own strength. I know there was nothing that I could have done to help her more than what I was doing, and that feeling was miserable. I'm glad it's over and she is healed.

I worry that her cancer might come back yet I don't live in fear of it. She sees an oncologist regularly for check ups to assure she is still cancer free and so far things are looking pretty good. We spoke on the topic of "living in fear" and I told her that if we looked at life in that manner we might miss living our lives. Fear is not something that we should live for. For all the worries she has had about cancer returning, I know that she does not dwell on the matter. As she says "if it comes back, we'll deal with it then." I'm with her on that one, so if that day comes we will deal with it then...but not until that day.

That experience definately changed me in one way. I make sure to tell everybody that matters to me and that I love exactly that. I make sure to let those who I care about know that I do indeed care about them. I don't ever want to lose somebody special and worry that they didn't know exactly how much they meant to me. I want to cherish everybody while I still have them.

12 comments:

  1. I have no smart ass remarks for this one. Beautiful post babydoll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are your mum are very wise to not let fear take over your lives. I have the same approach to my own health problems, "I'll deal with it if and when it happens". I don't know how I would cope if one of my parents were to get such a serious illness but I understand that feeling of complete helplessness.

    I'm very glad your mum survived and is now living cancer free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gypsy, it wasn't easy. We learned quickly the saying of living one day at a time.

    And thank you for stopping by, I always like visitors to come sit and chat with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful response indeed, Chele. It made me cry. I can only imagine the feeling of helplessness, since I sometimes feel that in the situation with my daughter.

    I also share your perspective that we go on with life, and deal with what comes when and IF it comes. Too much of life is wasted in worry and fear over things we can do nothing about anyway.

    I am praying for your mother to stay cancer free - she is blessed to have such an amazing daughter!

    By all means, I never hesitate to tell the people I love, and there are many, that I DO! My father didn't learn how to say that to his daughters until his wife died. I wonder how often, if ever, she heard it. I never once heard him say it to her in 45 years of marriage How sad is that? You are doing it right, and I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too cried while typing this one. Good therapy tho, thank you Josie. And I think that as people we just can't hear the phrase "I love you" enough. And my friend, I do love ya. Glad to have met you...atleast online. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Se a ansiedade tem que você sentir satta king play bazaar você para baixo, uma maneira de ajudar a diminuir a sua angústia é o exercício. Quando você se exercita, libera endorfinas positivas no cérebro que têm você se sentindo melhor.play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rangde Mujhe IskadarKudh Ko Bhool Jayu Main, play bazaar satta king Is Duniya Se Ho Jaau Bekhaba, Teri Mobabbat Ke Jo Rang Hai.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Play Bazar is affiliate marketing. It's not actually hard to do,
    satta king but it does have a learning curve that needs to be taken on if you want to make good money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many people think that you have to "believe" in acupuncture in order for it to work. This is not true, however. Both children and animals, as well as adults, are treated with acupuncture, and benefit from its techniques. This makes it obvious that acupuncture is not "mystical", but a legitimate practice. play bazaar

    Play bazaar
    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rather than going in dazzle, arm yourself with a lot of data about your potential speculations. AAPKI NEWS
    AAP KI NEWS

    ReplyDelete
  11. ask your practitioner if they will accept you as a patient on a sliding scale. play bazaar
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete