Tuesday, October 2, 2007

More Josie interview lovin' Part 3

3. I know very little about your life as a child. What is your happiest memory from that period? How do the childhoods of sons and daughter differ from your own? What personality traits did each of them inherit from you? If you could give each of them one piece of advice to carry with them in life, what would it be?

My happiest memory from childhood is also one of my saddest that quickly turned into my happiest. When I was 9 years old the only thing I had my heart set on getting was a stuffed Strawberry Shortcake doll that had long, braided red hair tucked under a strawberry scented hat. I had spent hours staring at her when we would go to the store and knew exactly what I would be asking Santa for that year. Christmas time came and my sister and I tore into our presents. I can not even begin to tell you what she got, but I know what I got. Shirts, socks, five records, a record player, and a pair of roller skates. My mother always tried so hard to get us everything that we wanted and I know now that the look on my face must have broke her heart because she asked what was wrong. Holding back the tears of sadness for not having anything that I considered something I could "play" with I told her nothing. She looked around at what I had gotten and asked "Where's your doll?" I told her I didn't get a doll but my sister had indeed gotten a barbie. Mom didn't quite believe me so she looked around, under the wrapping paper, and then gasped as she ran out of the room only to return a moment later holding the most cherished doll that I had so desperately wanted. Mom hugged me with tears of apology for forgetting to wrap her up for me as I hugged the doll I had so lovingly adored at the store. I thanked her to no end for my doll and she apologized. That day we both made a mistake. She forgot to wrap a simple present and I forgot to be thankful for what I had gotten instead of being miserable for what I had not gotten. So that Christmas turned out to be the happiest day of my childhood for I knew then more than I had ever that my mother loved me more than anything...and I got the doll that I went on to cherish for years.

The thing that stands out the most as being different between my children's and my own childhood is that my children are growing up in a home with two parents and don't have to split their time between parents. My parents were married until I was 11 or so but with a father in the Navy, were they ever really together? I felt that I had to always reassure the other parent that I loved them equally and not one more than the other. I don't know that either of them actually knew that tho. Which brings me to the other thing that is drastically different between their childhood and mine, freedom of speech. I was told that I could tell my parents anything, but I knew they didn't mean it. There were just some things I knew they didn't want to hear. But in our house now, my children can say anything to us and I am pretty darn sure they know it.

Princess inherited my attitude...good and bad. She also has my looks. Bear inherited my compassion towards others. DJ inherited my competitiveness.

There are so many things I want to advise my children on in life. I want them to give love freely but I don't want them to get hurt by doing so. I want them to choose paths in life that they want and to not feel forced into a particular path. I want them to have jobs that make them happy. I want them to live for themselves. Do things they want to do. Experience the things they want to experience. I want them to live life, not just watch as it passes them by.

11 comments:

  1. I never heard that story. Is it possible to have been together this long and still have things to learn? Maybe I should learn to let you talk more?

    I do have to correct you, Princess inherited your mouth. Her give a shit attitude came from her daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautifully written Chele. I could just picture you ripping open your presents with such hope and excitement and then the crushing disappointment when you didn't find the one thing you wanted most of all. Your poor Mum must've been kicking herself but it was also a good lessson learned for you too. Wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank you are right, her lip definately came from me. Way to point that out babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gypsy, thank you. That day will always stand out in my mind just like I was trapped in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart was touched by these answers - both as a parent and as a child. The fact that you still remember the lesson of the Strawberry Shortcake doll says everything!

    I hear you on the kids and split parents too. My kids had to do that and it was hard for them. Hard for the parents too, I assure you.

    LOL at your daughter's inheritance of your attitude - and of Frank's comment above! :-) She certainly did inherit her mom's beautiful looks though!!

    Compassion and competitiveness. I like that - if only we all had a healthy balance of both!

    Your advice for your children was AWESOME, Chele. They are so blessed to have a mother with this much wisdom! Make sure your kids know that this is your dream for them - I wish my mom would have said things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Josie, and I will share my hopes for them. I think at their ages it could mean something to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Não só você vai se sentir mais positivo, play bazaar satta king e diminuir o estresse que está causando sua ansiedade, você vai ficar em boa forma, também!
    play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uska Chehra Nazar Aata Hai Jheel Main Kamal Ki Tarha, play bazaar satta king Dheeray Se Sarakti Hai Raat Us Ke Aanchal Ki Tarah;

    ReplyDelete
  9. play bazaar

    Play bazaar
    satta king Add a heat treatment to your daily routine following your acupuncture treatment. Acupuncture enhances the flow of your internal processes. If you have pain following acupuncture, the application of ice is contraindicated. The heat will complement your acupuncture treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Land can be truly productive, yet there are sure obligations you should be happy to take onAAPKI NEWS
    AAP KI NEWS

    ReplyDelete
  11. play bazaar
    play bazaar Many practitioners offer this service, as they realize the health benefits offered by this therapy.

    ReplyDelete