Sunday, September 16, 2007

Why do I relay?

In 2003 my mother was diagnosed with Endometrial cancer. She had to undergo a hysterectomy which was painful and difficult for her. Tests following the surgery showed that she was cancer free.

Not even a year later in 2004 she was diagnosed with breast cancer. This time it was a little more agressive. She had to endure another surgery to remove the cancer cells in her breast and then many treatments of radiation. Not even half way thru her treatment cycles she showed me why it was so painful. The memory of the pained look on her face as she slowly lowered her bra strap will always be in my mind as the moment I realized I HAD to do something.

The radiation had caused the skin on her breast to become burned. With the exception of the still healing scar, her breast was black. She said it felt like a torturing sunburn that there was no escape from. Just having her clothing brush up against the skin caused agonizing pain. The tears I can't forget. The ache in her words, the pain in her voice, and the desperation in her hug.

Three years later she is still cancer free. She will always have to see an oncologist for testing, but now it's down to yearly appointments.

If you can't be apart of a Relay for Life team, help support them in any way possible if you can. Nobody volunteers to get cancer yet millions volunteer to fight it. We can't stop until cancer is no longer a threatening word. Until then, I will relay.

I relay for my mother.
I relay for the mother-in-law I lost to cancer before I got to meet her.
I relay for the health of my children.
I relay for me.
I relay for you.
I relay so that one day cancer won't be a horrifying experience.
I relay for a cure that is sure to come.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Chele, there is nothing I can add to it, except to say Amen. I lost two grandparents to cancer. My father's mother was a breast-cancer survivor who lived to be 97!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Para a maioria das pessoas, a ansiedade é causada pela preocupação com coisas que ainda não ocorreram. play bazaar satta king As pessoas muitas Mohabbat Hindi Love Shayari In English At Poetry Tadka play bazaar Dur Na Jaya Karo Dil Tadap satta kingJake Samandar Ke Kinare Tum... Apne Hathon Me Pani Utha Lena... Jitna Tum Utha Lo Wo Tumhari. vezes acreditam que algo negativo vai acontecer antes que algo ocorra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important that your readers trust you.
    satta king If your visitors have confidence in you, they are likely to show their support by using your referral links
    Play Bazar if you're promoting a product they intend to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inquire about the experience of an acupuncturist before you allow a treatment to be done. This is especially important if you are getting acupuncture done at a place that has more than one acupuncturist. Make sure that they have some kind of credentials and experience with the process, so you can be confident about the work they're going to do. satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be the case that the needle has hit a nerve area. satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete