Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A life well lived

It's been a rough work week so far and we are only two days in. Tomorrow will be the real rough day. Let's start at the beginning.

Monday I walk in as usual and say hello to each of my employees. One asks "Did Kortni talk to you?" Assuming that it regarded my conversation with her the previous night I replied that I had talked to her. Then I walked into the office and knew that I did not know what was going on.

"Harold died this morning."

I run a restaurant and we have our "regulars" who visit us at least once a day. They become family and we look forward to their visits, miss them when they are not there, grow concerned when they miss more than one day, and call their house if they miss too many days without warning us in advance. When you talk to these people all the time you get to know them and truly care for them. I talk to my "regulars" more than I talk to my own parents! I care for them and love them as more than just customers.

Harold, his son Lloyd, and Lloyd's wife Janet are people I always looked forward to visiting with. They are such a loving family and always so kind. If another customer was unkind to an employee, it was Lloyd and Harold who would come to our defense and set the offender straight. Being in customer service, we appreciate and love them for this because it is not something we can do ourselves. They are our heroes, our defenders, our crusaders.

An hour after Kortni broke the news to me, Lloyd and Janet came into the store. To be with friends. To be with family. To be comforted with hugs. To share tears.

They visited us twice yesterday and promised to be in today to give us the information for Harold's services. I kept waiting for Harold to walk in the doors behind them.

Today, Lloyd asked for a few items to place in Harold's casket so that he can take part of the restaurant he loved with him. I had already knew the request would be asked for and had another idea.

When Lloyd and Janet came in, Lloyd asked for the items and I told him I had something for Harold. I went into the office to get the item I hoped he would accept. A nametag that matches all of the employees except for a few changes. His name is bold in the middle but where it should say "Proud Member of ____" it said "A valued part of ___." Under his name where our nametags say our position, his says "Valued Guest."

The hug and tears told me it was appreciated.

Tomorrow, I say my goodbye to Harold and am very grateful to have Kortni going with me.

17 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. I know how much those folks mean to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so sad, I do know how the people who are part of your daily life become family, especially such nice folks like this. Your nametag tribute was the sweetest thing ever, and I'm certain would have meant more to him than anything else in the store. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, it's never easy to say goodbye. Why is it that the good people go, and leave all the turkeys behind? Not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sad news and what a lovely tribute you have done I am sure the nametag meant a lot to his family......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Chele, my heart is breaking for you right now. I know how close we can grow to the "customers" in our lives. They become so much more to us then just customers, they become family. I'm sending you loving and healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed this post somehow. I'm so sorry that you lost someone meaningful in your life.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Do not tell falsehoods in an interview. The interviewer might look into your information, which can lead to you being disqualified. Even if the interviewer doesn't double check everything you say, claiming that you have a skill or knowledge that you do not have can come back to haunt you.bhakti Bhajan
    Religion Bhajan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Play Bazaar Ask for photos, or even better, addresses of the jobs the landscaper has completed.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Take Satta King a break occasionally, your body needs some time to recover from your workouts so that it has the opportunity to regrow muscle tissue. This is why the most effective method for building muscle is to work out for a couple of days and then take a day Play Bazaar off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was instrumental in helping me with my own blog. Thank you – commenting is really important. ganga cassettes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's say you love your foundation color, but as your skin matures, it doesn't moisturize like it used to. Mohabbat Hindi Love Shayari In English At Poetry Tadka play bazaar Dur Na Jaya Karo Dil Tadap satta kingJake Samandar Ke Kinare Tum... Apne Hathon Me Pani Utha Lena... Jitna Tum Utha Lo Wo Tumhari. Adding some moisturizer to your regular foundation will achieve two goals:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Main Geya Waqt Naheen Hoon Ki Phir Aa Bhee Na Sakoon, Mehrbaan Hokey Bulaalo Mujhey Chaaho Jis Waqt: play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete
  12. India's No.1 Satta Live Result Website. Get All Live Results Of Satta King, Gali, Disawar, Gaziyabad, Faridabad Etc.
    play bazaar
    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  13. Avoid using services that hide domain ownership. Play Bazar It is believed that Google checks whether website owners have hidden their domain ownership information with services like Domains by Proxy and penalizes their sites by either reducing their rankings or increasing the time that satta king the sites sit in the "sandbox," the informal name given to the ranking penalty given to new sites until they prove themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Approach acupuncture with an open mind and make sure you fully understand what the treatment will do to your body. You should not dismiss this treatment before giving it a chance. Schedule a series of appointments to get treated for your chronic pain and choose to keep using this method if you get good results.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  15. Avoid school rentals,AAPKI NEWS
    AAP KI NEWS get-away rentals and awful neighborhoods. Purchase great properties that have a background marked by steady inhabitants.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Find an acupuncturist that you feel totally comfortable with and once you do, stick with that person. satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete